I have been a lifelong advocate for sustainability: the idea that economic prosperity, environmental protection, and social justice can - and must - be achieved together. I don't think the status quo is acceptable - we must continually work to make social progress in achieving a more just, equitable society.
- Advocate for ensuring the minimum wage is a living wage, based on and indexed to cost of living data. Work with businesses, nonprofits, unions, and City Council to identify a path to reaching a living wage in a timely fashion (no later than 2022).
- Work with elected officials in neighboring cities to reach a regional minimum wage standard, based on cost of living, by 2025.
- Lead efforts to ensure environmental justice by fighting public health hazards that disproportionately affect low-income residents, like air pollution and lead paint poisoning.
- Remain firmly committed to Berkeley’s status as a sanctuary city.
- Strive to protect our social safety net from federal cuts. Work with elected leaders at the local, state, and national level to protect current programs, or identify funding sources for substitute measures in the event of major cuts to SNAP, Medicaid, Section 8, UI, or other anti-poverty programs.
Got additional suggestions? Let me know here, or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org!